Everyone likes pizza, but it isn’t always the healthiest dinner option. We’re always in search of ways we can increase it’s nutritional value, while still enjoying the cheesy goodness. Using eggplant as the base is a great way to do this, plus it eliminates gluten and most other processed and refined items.
This recipe for eggplant pizza is quick and very versatile. Depending on what you’re craving, you can add a wide range of toppings, or leave it plain with just cheese and a few herbs.
- 1 eggplant (sliced lengthwise in ½ inch width)
- 1 cup marinara sauce*
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil sliced
- 2/3 cup cheese (grated aged white cheddar or crumbled goat feta)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly oil a large baking sheet (or 2 smaller ones)
- Slice eggplant and place on sheet. Turn eggplant over so that the oil gently coats both sides
- Bake eggplant until just soft, but not fully cooked (7-10 minutes)
- Remove from oven and top with
- Sprinkle with chopped rosemary and a light sprinkle of cheese
- Place back in oven and cook for another 7-8 minutes until fully cooked and cheese is melted
SERVES 4-6 • PREP 6 min • COOK 15-20 min
*Note: If you’re not making your marinara sauce yourself, look for a brand that has minimal added sugar – there is a surprising amount in pizza sauce. If you aren’t a saucy fan, replace the marinara with sliced, fresh tomatoes.
For more healthy meal ideas, check out these recipes.