On the hunt for some delicious winter dinner ideas? Nothing makes a cold winter night (or day) more bearable than digging into a hot and hearty meal.
The solution: This season, instead of loading up on high-calorie treats, serve up a steaming hot—but still healthy—meal. This is one of our favourite easy dinner recipes, a vegetable-packed soup with a range of health benefits.
This slow cooker carrot ginger chicken soup is not only easy on your digestion but it is very hearty and balanced. It contains protein and good carbohydrates with good fat from the coconut cream. The ginger increases circulation and digestion, and the onions are supportive of detoxification pathways.
Carrot Ginger Chicken Soup
- 3 lbs. carrots or 15 medium carrots
- 2 small onions
- 3 in. ginger
- ½ butternut squash
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup red lentils
- Salt & pepper
- Chop all vegetables. Peel the ginger and grate it very fine. Place the carrots and onion near the bottom of the slow cooker with the chicken in the middle and all other ingredients on top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Take the chicken out and place to the side.
- Use either an immersion blender or a regular blender to liquefy the soup. Pull the chicken apart and add back into the soup.
For more meal ideas, check out these healthy recipes.